OMHA Non-Resident Player Policy (Lucan Minor Hockey)

PrintOMHA Non-Resident Player Policy

OMHA Non-Resident Player Policy

It is important that all centres understand the use and process of the Non Resident Player (NRP) Passport, and that you field questions that come from your parents/players regarding player movement. You must not simply send them on their way to obtain this information from either St. Thomas or any other centre to which your players may be eligible to try out at. Not only is it not fair to St. Thomas or the other centres, but this is a learning process for all, and if the Home Centres do not take some responsibility for the process, we will not learn from it nor will we be in a position to offer suggestions to make it better.

There is a memo from the OMHA office “Non Resident Players Passport” and a sample passport that all centres should have received by now. The memo outlines the responsibility of the Home Centre in terms of the use of the passport and determining their players eligibility for AA / A hockey (in other words what centre they are eligible for).


  1. Player registers with their Home Centre
  2. Player requests a “Permission to Skate” from their Home Centre if they wish to tryout for AAA hockey.
  3. Player requests a Passport from their Home Centre if they wish to tryout for either AA or A hockey. Only one passport will be given to any one player. Only players at Peewee and above will be given a Passport.
  4. The Home Centre will determine the player’s closest centre for AA Hockey or for A hockey. This will be done by the use of Google Maps and by measuring the distance from the player’s residence to the AA Centre’s “centre point” or the A Centre’s “centre point”. A list of the centre points has been distributed to all centres.
  5. The Home Centre will pre-register the player in the HCR system as “NON-Resident Player Passport” in the group drop down box in the pre-registration section. The Home Centre retains the top copy of the Passport.
  6. The Home Centre will fill out the Passport
    1. Name of Player
    2. Date of Birth
    3. Home Centre Player is eligible to attend tryouts with (this will be either the AA centre or the A centre – not both) and Player will indicate to the Home Centre if he chooses AA or A. The Home Centre will enter either the closest AA centre or the closest A centre based upon the player’s choosing AA or A.
    4. Home Centre Authorizing Signature
    5. Print Title (of the authorizing signature)
    6. Date of authorizing signature

The rest of the Passport will be filled out by the AA or A centre and, if the player is successful in obtaining a position with the teamto which they are trying out for, the AA or A Centre will upload the completed Passport in The Player’s Profile in the HCR System.If the player is unsuccessful in obtaining a position, he returns to the Home Centre.

It is also important to explain to your parents/players who request a Passport that the AA or A team is allowed to only accept 3 NRP players.

Players can try out at AAA but this is not mandatory. Players can tryout at AA OR A (not both) and if they are not offered a spot on the AA or A team they return home. They can not tryout for another AA or A team if cut.