LUCAN MINOR HOCKEY COACH SELECTION PROCESS
● Applicants must submit their coaching applications by no later than May 15.
● Applications will be reviewed by the Coaching Committee in late June/early July.
● Coach selections for Boys Rep and Girls Tier 1 teams will be completed by end of July.
● Coach selections for Pre-school, Initiation Program, Minor Novice, Boys LL and Girls Tier 2 teams will be completed by the second week of September, or as soon as possible after Rep / Tier 1 team rosters are finalized.
Coach Certification Requirements:
● Coaches must have or be willing to acquire a minimum required certification for the division in which they are coaching, with the goal of having all coaches reach Development 1 certification (2 day training course).
● All coaches are also required to complete Respect-In-Sport Leadership, Gender Identity and Expression Training, well as submit a current Police Check.
Composition of Coach Selection Committee:
● Lucan Minor Hockey strives to make its coach selection process as fair, objective, well informed and inclusive as possible.
● A Coaching Committee is chaired by the Director of Coaching, and consists of up to 4 independent community members. The current LMH President also sits on the committee as an ex-officio member. The members of the Coaching Committee are approved by the LMH Executive
● Committee members are declared in conflict of interest where family members are involved, and in such cases will have no input to the coach selection decision.
Coach Selection Process:
● Overall, there continues to be strong interest in being a volunteer coach, oftentimes resulting in a greater number of applicants than there are teams available. With such interest comes the need to distinguish and make choices and there are many factors that enter into the decision-making process.
● A consensus-building procedure is used through the selection process, and at times the Committee will vote to identify a preferred coaching candidate.
● The committee will review each application and spend as much time as necessary to identify and recommend the most qualified and capable individual for a particular team.
● All coaches must re-apply for coaching positions each season.
● Applicants may be requested for an interview, at the discretion of the Committee.
● The Coaching Committee, through its Chair, will make a recommendation for Head Coaches to the Lucan Minor Hockey Executive, who will vote to accept the recommendations set forth.